By Kevin McGuire, SVP Product
PART 1: WHAT IS DEVICE-CENTRIC DISCOVERY?
You may have heard us say that we “make the smartphone smarter”. That’s because content discovery on smartphones is stunted and the way to fix it is to change how the device works. Device-centric discovery (DCD) solutions, like our Firstly Mobile Platform, does just that. But we are hardly the only DCD solution in market.
This four-part blog series is designed to help you understand what DCD is, why it matters, why consumers love it, and what it means for the wireless industry.
In our first part, we cover the basics.
WHAT IS DEVICE CENTRIC DISCOVERY (DCD)?
Simply put, DCD solutions are built-in enhancements to our smartphones that make it easier for all of us to use our phones to find and consumer media and content we love. DCD solutions are:
- Built-in to the smartphone software and UI/UX and/or are preinstalled
- Create new, user-friendly content experiences
- Reduce the “friction” (swipes and taps) in discovering and consuming content
WHAT ARE EXAMPLES OF DCD?
DCD solutions come in a variety of configurations including:
- Discovery Agents – Aggregates content in the background and then intelligently determines non-intrusive times to deliver
- Launchers & Minus One Screens – Provide an easy to access destination, one swipe to the right of the the home screen, to a custom or personalized news feed
- Plus One Screen Widgets – Extensions for popular apps that provide quick access to information from within an app without needing to open the app, one swipe to the left of the home screen
- Enhanced Default Search Pages – Display a queryless feed of personalized content under the browser bar when you open a new search page
- Preinstalled Apps – solutions from a Carrier or device OEM that function as standard apps, but are preinstalled
Examples of specific DCD solutions include:
- Apple News – Created for the Apple mobile iOS, this pre-installed Minus One Screen is a news aggregator with curated and personalized content feeds and notifications.
- Samsung Bixby – Pre-installed on Samsung phones, this pre-installed Minus One Screen personal assistant enhances the standard Samsung launcher, and learns the apps and content you like and makes them available by swiping to the right.
- Google Discover – Available on Android phones and preinstalled on many Android devices, this Minus Screen destination allows you to create a customized news feed that is always available with one swipe to the right.
- Android Widgets – Available only for Android apps, these application extensions provide convenient, quick access to content/media from an app without opening it. They are typically available by swiping to the right of the home screen.
- Google Feed – Included within the Google App on Android and iOS, this personalized news feed uses your search history to display content before you conduct a search
- Taboola News – Pre-loaded on ZTE, vivo, and other devices, the news feed delivers personalized content to the lock screen.
- Mobile Posse’s Firstly Mobile Platform – Pre-installed on Android devices from select wireless carriers, this set of new interfaces provides one-touch access to content.
- InMobi GLANCE – Currently only available in Asian markets, Glance is pre-installed on phones and brings personalized content to the lock screen.
WHAT DEFINES A SOLUTION AS DCD?
There are several commonalities across all these types of solutions. DCD:
- Offers news, sport, infotainment, photos, media or other content that is somehow personalized to the subscriber/user
- Extracts content and information from their wouldbe app containers
- Creates new, natural content experiences on the phone
- Eliminates search, taps, swipes, loading times, and other “friction”
WHO ARE THE BIGGEST PLAYERS IN DCD?
As our examples show, some of the biggest players in mobile have already made their mark with DCD solutions, including Apple, Google, and Samsung. This isn’t a coincidence. All of these mobile leaders have the ability to influence the smartphone UI/UX on select devices.
For the same reason, future DCD solutions will be innovated by those with the same device-changing influence: Wireless carriers, other OEMs and mobile OS manufacturers.
In our next part, we’ll cover “WHY” device-centric discovery is growing trend.